Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Successful Grocery Store Chain Leads with Character First!


I went on vacation this week, a much-needed vacation, I might add.

Soon after arriving, we realized we needed more groceries, so my youngest son and I took off for the grocery store, thinking this was just another average grocery store run to feed the family.

As I was soon to learn, it became much more than that.

Shortly after arriving and walking through the front door of this grocery store, I noticed a Veteran's sign in a side room.  I walked over to look since I am a veteran.  It seemed odd that a grocery store would have such a prominent Veteran's sign.

Then I noticed the "Missing Man Table" was set up in that side room.  The room was titled: HEROES.
The last time I had seen a Missing Man Table was when my Dad set one up each year for Veteran's Day Memorial Services.  

Since my "Pa" passed away only 9 months ago, this brought back many memories and was a very emotional moment.

What began as a run-of-the-mill grocery store run was not an average experience.

If you are unsure what the Missing Man Table is, here is a great video from a great organization supporting veterans.


But, Wait!  There is more to this story.

I went to get the Store Manager and when I found him, I thanked him for supporting Veterans.  

In addition, I was curious about why they did that and how it worked.  As we chatted, he shared with me that the CULTURE of this company was to Lead with Character First!  

Of course, did not use the "Lead with Character First" quote, but in essence he was talking about INTENTIONAL training, coaching, nurturing and growth of character in their company culture.  WOW!  

As we continue to discuss CHARACTER and the importance of Character Skill for personal, team and corporate growth, this manager invited me into the store conference room.

Immediately, there was something very different posted on the wall!  They had posters about Leadership, Teamwork, etc.

The first poster I saw was the one below on CHARACTER! (see image below)

So, this grocery store chain is not just talking the talk, but they are talking, walking, teaching, coaching, and nurturing Character Skills to grow their company culture, which in turn grows their people!

"Success is when I add value to myself, significance is when I add value to others." -John C. Maxwell

This company was living and leading by example with The Tricycle Effect!

We add value best to others when we focus on Character Skills like:

Caring
Empathy
Loyalty
Accountability
Trustworthiness
Respect
Responsibility
Fairness
and more!
How are you doing working on your Character Skills?  How is the health of your company culture?
Remember what Peter Drucker said, "culture eats strategy for breakfast". 

In an article by The Alternative Board - Blog, with regards to the Peter Drucker Quote, they say, "This implies that the culture of your company always determines success regardless of how effective your strategy may be."

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy." General Norman Schwarzkopf

Clearly, Character is critically important to culture and, therefore, to the success and significance of a company and its most important asset, its PEOPLE!

Want more information and coaching on how you can transform your people, who will transform the culture in your company?

Reach out to me and let's chat.:)
Coach Dane Deutsch
715-9534844
dane.deutsch@lmdc.us

Trike On!
Coach D:)

No comments: