Tuesday, June 9, 2015

As Leaders, do we CARE enough to overcome our fears?


In one of my recent Mastermind Groups on Leadership (21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by Dr.John C. Maxwell), my sister and I discussed why "caring" is such an important part of a leader showing respect, developing rapport and building relationships with other people that we touch in our lives:  family, friends, colleagues, co-workers, etc.  That same day, I ran across a Facebook post by someone that has demonstrated he cared for me when I needed a friend in time of need.

That friend and also one of my mentors and colleagues was Lee Ellis (Leadership Freedom & Hanoi Hilton POW:  www.leadershipfreedom.com).  He wrote a Facebook post recently on a very short and powerful video that challenges us as leaders to grow and overcome our fears.

Lee's post said:  "In this short clip, during the night a mother comes downstairs to check on her two children. She never forgot what she saw at that moment. An unusual example of courageous leadership."
Take the time to watch the video.  

It is noteworthy to recognize that "Care" or "Caring" is one of the 6 pillars of Character Counts:  Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship.  (www.charactercounts.org)

Do we (you and I), as leaders, care enough to overcome our fears and choose to "Do the Right Thing."

Please watch the video and share your comments - maybe you can even let me know how you have overcome one of your fears because you cared more than the fear itself.  
Be courageous and take the time and effort to care!

Remember, keep "Leading with Character First."

No comments: